I love a good on the go breakfast or a sweet treat at night and these granola bars meet all of the requirements.
Have you ever looked at the ingredients list on a box of granola bars? There’s about 3 different names for sugar, soy, corn, “artificial flavor”…and it takes me longer to read the list of ingredients than it does to eat the actual bar.
When I started eating a whole foods diet, I cut out processed food so that meant having to make all of my meals, which can be very tiresome, especially in the morning when I’m too tired to think about what I want to eat, or after dinner when I just need something sweet before bed. In order to combat this and make sure I didn’t reach for a packaged boxed of food to satisfy my needs and cravings, I batch book most of my food, and that includes these granola bars which can be great for breakfast, a snack, or dessert!
With only 6 ingredients including nuts, coconut, manuka honey and cacao, there is definitely no artificial flavors or ingredients and they actually have a lot of health benefits.
Benefits of Manuka Honey
- promotes digestive health
Benefits of Cashews
- source of protein
- naturally reduces stress and anxiety
- source of zinc, selenium, B vitamins
- reduce cholesterol
Benefits of Coconut
- increases metabolism
- boosts energy
- source of calcium and magnesium
Benefits of Walnuts
- source of omega-3 fatty acid which reduces inflammation
- relieves IBS
- improves heart health
- reduces blood pressure
Benefits of Almonds
- anti-cancer properties
- source of vitamin E
- increases energy
- helps in weight management
Benefits of Cacao Nibs
- mood booster
- rich source of magnesium
- regulates blood pressure
- source of fiber, iron, calcium and sulfur
I made these bars in this mold because I have no skill in cutting things evenly or in straight lines. Feel free to use a smaller mold to yield more, double the recipe, or make them in a baking pan and cut into bars after they cool!
So what are you waiting for? You need to make these granola bars!
Yields 9 bars
15 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- 1/4 cup manuka honey
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9 bar mold with non-stick coconut oil spray.
- In a food processor, chop the nuts into smaller pieces, but not so much that it becomes a flour consistency.
- Add the nut pieces to a large bowl and add the coconut, cacao nibs and almond extract. Stir to combine.
- Add the manuka honey and mix until everything is coated in honey.
- Add the mixture to the molds making sure to press down to keep all of the ingredients packed well. I recommend spraying your hands with non-stick spray to keep the mixtures from sticking to your fingers!
- Bake the bars for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, press down on the bars with parchment paper again, and let cool (still in the molds) for 30 minutes.
- Flip the mold onto a baking sheet and let cool for another 30 minutes upside down so that the honey spreads out evenly.
- Keep in an air tight container for up to 5 days!