It’s Waffle Wednesday and today I’m sharing my new favorite waffle recipe. It’s a 6 ingredient spiralized sweet potato waffle that’s more savory than what you might be used to eating. But that means it’s more versatile than just your average breakfast waffle!
I never owned a waffle maker. It always scared me that I’d love it and want to make sweet waffles every day for breakfast. And even though I’m in the mindset of treat yourself and everything in moderation, I can’t ever say no to anything that resembles dessert. So when I told Ryan I wanted to buy a waffle maker, he thought I was crazy!
And then we started making waffles on the weekend as a special treat, and then during the week if I woke up early enough before my workout or meetings. But the sweet waffles were taking over and I wanted to find another way to use my waffle maker without it feeling indulgent.
I’d seen other recipes for sweet potato waffles and was so intrigued, especially since I love a good sweet potato bun for burgers. I could totally get on board with a waffle bun, and it’s a great way to make your food fun! Really I’m just a big kid in an adult body!
I loved how simple these spiralized sweet potato waffles were to make and you could easily add shredded spinach to get an extra boost of veggies in there. I also used Yai’s Thai Almond Sauce to add extra flavor. These waffles were bold in flavor and fun in presentation!
Yields 4 medium size waffles
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 lb. sweet potato, spiralized
- 1 Tbsp. cooking fat (coconut oil, ghee or avocado oil)
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. Yai's Thai Almond Sauce
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add the cooking fat. Once it's hot, add the spiralized sweet potato.
- Cook the sweet potato noodles for about 5 minutes, tossing to evenly crisp!
- While the noodles are cooking, add the egg, Yai's Tha Almond Sauce, salt and cinnamon in a small owl and mix to combine.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, but still crispy, remove them from the heat and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the egg and almond sauce mixture to the sweet potato noodles and mix to combine everything.
- Heat your waffle maker and coat with cooking oil spray.
- Spread some of the sweet potato and almond sauce mixture in the center of the waffle maker and cook as you normally would according to the waffle iron instruction.
- Once the sweet potato waffle is finished cooking, remove it from the waffle maker and repeat with the remaining batter.
- Top with almond butter and fresh fruit for a sweet waffle, or enjoy as a savory side.