You know I’m all about the Sunday night meal prep to make weeknight meals simple and delicious. But what if you’re not in the mood for anything you’ve cooked but you don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen? Then this recipe for an easy weeknight dinner, gnocchi with chicken sausage and peppers is exactly what you need!
Let’s be honest, every week can’t always be about the meal prep. Sometimes we’re traveling, sometimes we’re out on a Sunday and there’s just no time. We’re human and that’s okay. But just because you haven’t meal prepped doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a home cooked weeknight meal. And if you’re cooking during the week, you gotta keep it simple!
After a long day of work, the last thing you want to do is spend hours cooking a meal that will only take minutes to eat. So I like to keep it simple with minimal ingredients and great flavor. Cappello’s grain-free pasta alternatives has become a staple in our weekly meals because it only takes minutes to make. The fettuccine and gnocchi are perfect to add to any meal prep as a base for veggies and meat and also help when you’re wondering what you should eat!
The gnocchi takes only 3 minutes to cook in boiling water and then I love sauteing them in ghee to get them extra crispy! You can add your meal prep meatballs, or how about some chicken sausage and peppers. It’s such a classic combo and the flavors always blend so well together.
Weeknight Dinner in 20 Minutes…
And on a busy weeknight, dinner will be ready in 20 minutes without any meal prep! All you have to do is cook your chicken sausage and peppers in a hot pan coated in ghee for about 10 minutes.
While the sausage and peppers are cooking, bring a pot of water to a boil and then add the gnocchi. Cook for 3 minutes until they float to the top. Then drain them.
Add the cooked gnocchi to the pan with the sausage and peppers and saute for 5 minutes, until the gnocchi brown. Serve and enjoy! You can add your favorite red sauce, pesto, or just some more ghee to melt on top!
5 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 package Cappello's Gnocchi
- 2 Sliced bell peppers in a range of colors
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. cooking fat (coconut oil, avocado oil, ghee), divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: marina sauce, pesto or more ghee for topping
- Let's start by getting your water boiling since that will take the longest! Heat a large pot of water over high heat and bring water to a boil.
- While the water boils, cook the sausage and peppers.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat and add 1 Tbsp. of cooking fat.
- Once it's hot, add the chicken sausage, peppers and onions. Saute everything for about 5-8 minutes while the gnocchi cooks.
- When the water is boiling, add the package of Cappello's gnocchi and cook for 3-5 minutes. Once they all float to the top of the pot, drain the water.
- When the gnocchi is done cooking, add the remaining cooking fat to the pan with the sausage and peppers and add the cooked gnocchi. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir to combine everything and cook for about 3-5 minutes until the gnocchi has browned.
- Option to add marinara sauce or pesto to the pan before serving.
- Serve in a bowl and enjoy!