All the fall flavors in a natural food bowl!
Acorn squash, also known as winter squash, is an extremely versatile vegetable. It can be sliced, diced, or roasted whole and can be a great sweet or savory dish. One of my favorite ways to eat acorn squash is simply roasted with a drizzle of ghee and a sprinkle of cinnamon. My taste buds can’t decide if it’s a side dish or dessert. This makes it the ultimate food that can be eaten any time of day.
Health Benefits of Acorn Squash include:
- boosting the immune system
- source of Vitamin C
- strengthens the bones and reduces the risk of osteoporosis
- reduces stress
- improves blood circulation
Health benefits of avocado oil include:
- stimulates circulation
- moisturizes skin and hair
- reduces signs of aging including wrinkles and fine lines
- boosts the immune system
- improves the digestive system and helps your body absorb the nutrients of foods it is paired with
Fall Food In a Natural Bowl
10 minPrep Time
50 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 2 Acorn Squash
- 1 Pound ground sausage
- 1 Tbsp. Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 2 apples, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. ginger powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Place the squash halves face down on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes.
- While squash cooks, heat a pan over medium-high heat and add avocado oil.
- Add onions and saute until they are soft and translucent. Add the diced apples and cook for 5 minutes until they are soft.
- Add the ground sausage and spices and cook until the meat is no longer pink, breaking it up as it cooks.
- Once the meat is cooked, add the entire mixture to a large bowl and set aside.
- Remove the squash from the oven and scoop out some of the inside and add it to the sausage mixture. Mix everything to combine.
- Scoop the sausage mixture into the squash halves. Cover with tinfoil and bake for 10 minutes until warmed through!
- Remove from the oven, serve, and enjoy!