All the fall flavors in a natural food bowl with this Whole30 Sausage and Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash
Acorn squash, also known as winter squash, is an extremely versatile vegetable. It can be sliced, diced, or roasted whole and can be a great sweet or savory dish. One of my favorite ways to eat acorn squash is simply roasted with a drizzle of ghee and a sprinkle of cinnamon. My taste buds can’t decide if it’s a side dish or dessert. This makes it the ultimate food that can be eaten any time of day.
Health Benefits of Acorn Squash include:
- boosting the immune system
- source of Vitamin C
- strengthens the bones and reduces the risk of osteoporosis
- reduces stress
- improves blood circulation
Health benefits of avocado oil include:
- stimulates circulation
- moisturizes skin and hair
- reduces signs of aging including wrinkles and fine lines
- boosts the immune system
- improves the digestive system and helps your body absorb the nutrients of foods it is paired with
Fall Food In a Natural Bowl
10 minPrep Time
50 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 2 Acorn Squash
- 1 Pound ground sausage
- 1 Tbsp. Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 2 apples, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. ginger powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Place the squash halves face down on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes.
- While squash cooks, heat a pan over medium-high heat and add avocado oil.
- Add onions and saute until they are soft and translucent. Add the diced apples and cook for 5 minutes until they are soft.
- Add the ground sausage and spices and cook until the meat is no longer pink, breaking it up as it cooks.
- Once the meat is cooked, add the entire mixture to a large bowl and set aside.
- Remove the squash from the oven and scoop out some of the inside and add it to the sausage mixture. Mix everything to combine.
- Scoop the sausage mixture into the squash halves. Cover with tinfoil and bake for 10 minutes until warmed through!
- Remove from the oven, serve, and enjoy!